Tuesday, August 14, 2007

When the bloom is off the Turd Blossom...



So, at last the day has come. Karl "Wormtongue" Rove is leaving the White House. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about that.

Of course I am immensely pleased to see the back side of him (eww, not in that way!), and I'm all for getting rid as many neocons as possible. But I can't help but feel that he's getting away too easily.

We are all familiar with the saying about rats deserting a sinking ship. I just picture Karl as a sneaky little cockroach, scurrying for the best exit route to escape the light (or, in this case, the Congressional subpoena). And given his history, I have a feeling that, like a cockroach, it will be nearly impossible to find him and squash him once he escapes.

This is the architect of the Bush administration, the man responsible for death and destruction affecting millions of people worldwide and costing us billions of dollars. This is the man who has destroyed the careers and reputations of upstanding, decent people - civil servants and war veterans whose sole transgression was blocking his path to ultimate power. This is the man who set the tone of an administration gone wild, an executive branch with no regard for the rule of law and with no respect for the Constitution or the necessary limits it places on executive authority.

In light of all this, I have to admit that I am very glad to see Rove go. I just wish that his departure would have looked a little more like the above picture. At the press announcement today, Dubya said, when speaking of Rove moving on: "I'll be on the road behind you, here, in a little bit..."

We can only hope "a little bit" comes real soon.



No comments: