Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Emmy Confidential - Tony on the red carpet?!

Here I was, all ready to come up with an excruciatingly interesting blog about the Emmy nominations, due this Thursday. Then what do I discover but a news story reporting that News & Documentary Emmy noms were announced this morning. Normally this would not really interest me, so I prepared to ignore the story, until a very familiar name caught my eye....Surely not....There must be some mistake...

Nope, dear readers, it's absolutely true: Anthony Bourdain has been nominated for Outstanding Informational Programming for his No Reservations episode called "Anthony Bourdain in Beirut". I'm giddy as a schoolgirl about the whole thing. I'd say he'd crush the competition, but he's up against Ted Koppel...You know what? Screw it! I'm pretty sure Tony could take Koppel, so he's a shoe-in if the Academy decides to use the Thunderdome system to pick the winner.

Well, it couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy. If you've read my profile at all, you'll know that Bourdain is one of my favorite authors. What I didn't include on the profile is his distinguished career in television. His current show is No Reservations for the Travel Channel - the new season starts on July 30th. I strongly suggest that anyone who hasn't seen the show give it a try.

Yes, it's a reality show, but it's really so much more than that. The former chef travels to regions as average as the Pacific Northwest and Las Vegas and to other regions more remote and adventurous, such as Malaysia and Uzbekistan. The goal: To learn as much as possible about the culture of the area, especially by sampling its cuisine. It sounds a bit boring on paper, but trust me - a visit with Tony is many things, none of them boring. You definitely don't need to be a foodie to appreciate this show. Check it out, and let me know what you think.

As for today's Emmy nom, I just have to say: Good on you, Chef. I hope you enjoy the accolades - they are well-deserved. And remember the rules:

Two men enter, one man leaves.
(sorry, Koppel)

No comments: